Unresolved trauma can be challenging physically and mentally. It can lead to many symptoms, such as anxiety, depression, substance abuse, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Fortunately, available treatments can help individuals manage their trauma and begin healing. Trauma treatment can also help prevent or overcome addictions that develop after substance abuse behaviors increase.
If you’re in Florida and wondering, “Where can I find trauma treatment near me?” Look no further than Sophros Recovery. Call 904.760.4295 to learn about our addiction treatment services and trauma treatment program in Jacksonville, Florida. Whatever a client’s diagnosis is, they can find trauma-informed care at Sophros Recovery.
What Is Trauma Treatment?
Trauma treatment is a type of therapy that focuses on helping people heal from traumatic experiences or events. However, it is sometimes confused with trauma-informed care. This broader concept considers past events and how they may affect a person’s current emotional, mental, physical, and behavioral well-being.
At Sophros Recovery, our trauma-informed care professionals will focus on what works best for each client. Trauma treatment may include talk therapy, medication, or both. Trauma treatment is often ideal for those who have experienced physical or emotional abuse, violence, or loss. Through trauma treatment, individuals learn how to process their emotions and gain an understanding of how trauma has affected them. They also learn coping strategies for managing their symptoms and regaining control of their lives.
How Does Trauma Treatment Work for Addiction?
Trauma treatment can also be beneficial for those struggling with addiction. Often, when someone experiences a traumatic event, they turn to drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism—eventually leading to addiction.
Through trauma treatment, individuals gain insight into why they may be abusing substances and learn more effective ways of dealing with difficult emotions associated with the trauma they experienced. This approach allows them to simultaneously address their addiction and underlying issues, increasing their chances of long-term success in recovery.
5 Best Practices for Trauma Treatment
What are the best practices for trauma treatment? The best approaches to trauma treatment are the following:
- Talk therapy – This approach involves discussing one’s thoughts and feelings with a therapist to gain insight into why they behave the way they do.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – This form of talk therapy helps individuals recognize patterns in their thoughts that may perpetuate negative behaviors such as substance abuse or self-harm.
- Mindfulness-based therapies – Therapies like this focus on being present at the moment without judgment which helps individuals become more aware of their emotions without getting overwhelmed.
- Somatic experiencing (SE) – This body-based approach uses gentle touch techniques to help people process difficult emotions.
- Eye movement desensitization reprocessing (EMDR) – This approach uses eye movements to help rewire neural pathways associated with traumatic memories so that they no longer cause distress when recalled.
In addition to the practices mentioned above, some other treatments and therapies can be combined with trauma treatment—such as art therapy, music therapy, yoga and meditation classes, equine-assisted therapy (EAT), and wilderness therapy programs. Each person is unique, so it’s crucial to find out what works best for you when treating your trauma effectively.
Benefits of Trauma Treatment
The benefits of trauma treatment include the following:
- Better stress management skills
- Decreased risk of relapse
- Greater sense of purpose
- Improved communication skills
- Improved mood regulation
- Improved relationships with others
- Improved sleep quality
- Increased confidence
- Increased empathy toward others
- Increased motivation
- Increased self-awareness
- Reduced anxiety
However, the primary benefit of trauma treatment is the controlled resolution of the unresolved trauma that likely disrupted clients’ lives as they developed addictions or suffered from other unwanted symptoms.
Find Trauma Treatment for Addiction in Florida at Sophros Recovery
In conclusion, it’s important to remember that everyone’s experience with trauma is unique. Therefore it is essential to find an individualized approach that works best for you. If you’re looking for addiction treatment near Florida, consider reaching out to Sophros Recovery. We offer specialized programs explicitly tailored toward individuals struggling with addiction. Contact Sophros Recovery today at 904.760.4295 and start your journey toward lasting recovery with our skilled and highly qualified clinicians.